Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Dear Drunk Girl:

Dave and I were given tickets to attend the biggest game of the year in our city. UA vs. ASU.  It's an in-state rivalry that runs deep and is, by far, the best part of college football.  As former Wildcats, we were stoked when someone offered us tickets in the student section to cheer on our team.  It brought back a flood of memories: shaking our keys during kick-offs, high-fives all around, standing the entire game, helping our mascots crowd surf, etc.  But when you're squished up against tons of people, you notice all sorts of things.  Standing right in front of us was a group of friends. 3 out of the 4 were totally drunk.  It made me angry...then sad...to see how they were treating the girl.  I decided to write her a letter today; if I actually knew her, here's what I'd say:

Dear Drunk Girl
I see you.  I see your friends.  Or what I think are your friends. That's what they call themselves and what you are calling them.  From my seat, it's easy to think that they are really good friends to you: their arms are wrapped around you as you sway back & forth. trying to keep your balance so you don't tumble forward into the crowd.  You laugh and smile with them as they make fun of your drunken state. Who's that guy by your side? Oh right. Your boyfriend.  I can only tell because you kiss him more than the other guy.  He's drunk, too, and his friend is having to babysit him. Telling him to lean forward, pull up his pants and calm down.  He says he's your boyfriend pretty loudly, I'm guessing so others will make sure he's cool--with you as his token.  I've known a lot of girls like you. And a lot of guys like him. Let me tell you---you don't need him.  You deserve to get treated better than that.  At the time, it may be funny that he was placing his friends hands all over you---violating your body and treating you like some piece of clay.  It's not funny.  You deserve better. You deserve to be treated like the beautiful woman you were created to be.  You were made in the image of One who is honored. Treasured. Adored.  You don't need to have a boyfriend that disrespects you.  You were made to be loved with an everlasting love.  One that sees your heart and wants to platform your unique qualities.  A love that isn't afraid to guard you, protect you...and give you freedom.  You were made to be filled with the fullness of joy by the One who created you...not by some cheap knock-off joy that comes from too many plastic bottles of Vodka or kisses from a drunk guy. 
I have 3 daughters.  My hope and prayer for them is to know this Love that never stops, never gives up, is always and un-breaking.  My desire is that they grow up knowing that no boyfriend, no matter how much he says it, can ever fully satisfy them.  I want them to know they are beautiful and deserve to be treated royally for the wonderful creation they are. 
I hope you have friends that will tell you things like I am. I hope they will point you to the One who is delighted by you. And I hope you ditch the guy that treats you like dirt and trade him in for One who will never leave you or desert you. 

Sincerely,
 Broken-hearted mom 

4 comments:

  1. that is beautiful and tragic. I'm grateful that your daughters have a mom (and dad) who will always remind them that they are loved by God and how they deserve to be loved my a man. save this. show it to your girls some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyra, send this to the campus paper. More than one girl needs to hear this.

    Aunt Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! That's a GREAT idea from your aunt! At the very least some staff at the newspaper will read these truthful, encouraging pearls from a wise alum! DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many girls would love to get this letter!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete