Friday, May 6, 2011

Saying Goodbye.

My kids are terrible with goodbyes. Mostly REAL goodbyes...to people they won't see for a while. This summer, after our trip to South Africa, Paisley just kept saying, "I want the EASY way".  Me too, kiddo.

Early yesterday morning, we closed the chapter of another great life in my family. My grandfather, Thomas White, passed away.

You may (or may not) remember that last month his wife, passed away.  My grandpap was noticeably lost without her and couldn't wait to be with her in Heaven. What a gift to my family to have a marriage full of love, honor & trust.  Now, all 4 of my grandparents are together again...rejoicing in heaven, laughing with each other and worshipping their Savior.

Last month, he had the opportunity to spend Easter with us and I'm SO grateful for this time to spend with him. Here's a pic of the kids and Grandpap at the Davis Arboretum.
He truly modeled perseverance, strength, love, service and humility.  He never beat around the bush; he was a straight-shooter.  We all knew when we'd done something bad...or good...he'd share his opinion.  I loved that about him.  
I know he was excited to go be with his wife; selfishly, I wish he had stuck around here. But I'm confident that the Lord didn't take him a minute before He planned on it. 
So even though I'm sad, I can't despair.  Even though a dear life is missed, I can't forget where his soul is.  I rest in the power and knowledge of the Almighty God. And look forward to the day I can "squeeze the tar" out of my grandpap again :) 
[a favorite saying of his]

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

6 comments:

  1. Love that picture!
    This was beautifully said.
    I can't believe we're now the middle generation.

    Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post honey! I miss him so much and am really sorry you've lost all of your grandparents. I'm glad we get to carry on their legacy together though. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyra I'm sorry to hear that you lost your grandpa. Happy you had this time with him at Easter. Praying for you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss, Kyra. He sounds like a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Kyra, I'm so sorry for your loss! Here's to eternity with everyone we love in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kyra- Thanks for blogging about this, and everything you do. I find your words so eloquent and still sincere. You are a special gal!

    ReplyDelete