Let me introduce you to a commercial on TV lately that I am appalled by. I don't watch tv a lot. We only have bunny ears and can maybe get 2 channels on a good day :) However, we watch Netflix movies. And this ad has been on there so many times. Every time I see it---I cringe. Here it is...all 39 seconds of it.
Does anyone else see what's going on here? It's a clear message about family, kids and entitlement. You deserve better, you deserve to have anything you want at your fingertips, your entertainment is worth more than your family, you should be embarrassed that your parents enjoy each other and are, seemingly, in love, you shouldn't have to roll down your windows when you can control your own air.
The list goes on and on. It's about control. It's about entitlement. It's about Keeping up with the Jones's.
So basically, every kid (and person, really) should seek to make themselves happy. Kids shouldn't have to endure family time, conversation, fresh air....they deserve to put their headphones on, watch a show that they like and adjust their environment. And Toyota is right there to help.
I'm not opposed to watching a dvd in the car. Trust me. We just had an 8 hour road trip and we watched movies!! I'm not opposed to air conditioning. I lived in Phoenix---I say no more. I AM opposed to turtlenecks. That was a bit ridiculous, don't you think?? More importantly, I am appalled by the message to our generation and the one after us about what we value in life. Are those toys in the highlander really going to satisfy? Maybe for a little. But we all know it doesn't last.
Jesus said it this way "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21) (emphasis mine)
Where is our treasure? Is our value in getting the latest car? Do we treasure ourselves and our pleasure above anything or anyone? Do we place more importance about what others think of us than we ought to? Do we really want our family to be the one that doesn't talk to each other?
I pray that we would be wise and discerning about what we value. That ads like this incite us to turn to the Bible and seek it's wisdom and direction...not Toyota's.
And I hope we ban turtlenecks from existence :)
I don't know. In ND turtlenecks are kind of a necessity. Sometimes scarves just don't cut it. ;)
ReplyDeleteSeriously, loved your comments. Spot on!
I couldn't agree more. I was appalled with this ad the first time I saw it on TV. Like you've articulated, it goes further than a bratty, ungrateful kid in the backseat of his parents' care. I would even go so far as to say I will never buy a Toyota!
ReplyDeleteUgh. Amen, Kyra!
ReplyDeleteSo when the movies aren't playing in your van... you sing alto harmony to Dave and serenade each other, right?
You're my angel; you're my daaarling angel...
Thank you for the WORD, Kyra.
ReplyDeleteGreat insight Kyra. Way to watch for gospel themes (mostly the brokenness part here). Thanks for sharing with us. :)
ReplyDeleteI never even knew they were filming us...and I think Turtle Necks make me look even shorter/wider.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, Great post Kyra. Entitlement and one-upping one another, while mere symptoms of deeper, heart issues, have our country in quite a rough spot.
i was just telling caleb how much i HATED this commercial!
ReplyDelete