IHOP is giving away free pancakes today and asking you to donate money for the Children's Miracle Network. My friend, Nathalie, organized a few of us moms to bring our kids and go eat our fair share of flapjacks. I knew it was going to be fun...but didn't intend for it to be educational and insightful. All thanks to an older gentleman at the front door. But let me start at the beginning.
My crew arrived at IHOP ready to eat our 2nd breakfast of the day (we're hobbits). But I forgot cash and my checkbook. So did my friend. Hey--at least we remembered our kids, right?! Anyway, she offered to run to her bank around the corner while I stayed at the restaurant with our kids. Perfect.
By this time, my other friend and her daughter arrived so we decided to go inside and get a table. I was holding little man J in my arms while my 3 kiddos charged ahead. My friend was holding her daughter in her arms. We reached the doors. I told my kids to wait because there was a man leaving and pushing the door open. Just as his whole body had gone through the doorway, he looked at me and said, "Is anybody gonna grab the door here?" and left. I thankfully was close enough to reach out with my closest hand (the one carrying the baby) and manage to stop the door from hitting my kids while they entered.
Really!? I was pretty furious. I didn't understand, and still don't to be honest, how an older man (he had white hair so it's safe to say that) by himself would not think to hold the door open for 2 women and 5 children. It probably would've taken maybe 10 seconds of his time. My friend and I were just in complete shock that someone would actually say that to us! Where was the gentlemanly conduct? It was pretty maddening to me. Then, I got to thinking.
I told Dave about it and he reminded me how different those of us who follow Jesus and call ourselves Christians really are. I guess in this culture we live in, a woman could potentially get annoyed or offended if a man held a door open for her. Maybe this guy has lived in Davis long enough to have received some backlash for doing such things. Maybe he's never been asked or challenged to consider women as precious objects to be treasured and honored. I am so thankful to go to a church, be involved in a ministry and live among others who want to respect and value women. Thank you to all the men out there who do open doors for me, help me lift heavy bags of groceries into my car and jump my car battery when it dies and Dave isn't around (that was my pest man...he's great). I appreciate that you care enough about me as woman...and yourself as a man....to serve me in these ways. Just as Christ did and sacrificed his life for me as an act of service. It's not that I can't do some of these things for myself, but it's the fact that you see a need and jump to fix it or help me through it. I like that.
The pancakes were good, but the lesson was better. Be thankful for the godly men who care and want to serve you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment