Monday, April 19, 2010

Won't you be my neighbor?

Anyone else grow up with Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood? I thought very highly of that man in cardigan sweaters.  Who wouldn't want to live in a place where everyone was friends?!

Well, in the very essence of Mr. Roger himself, I invited our neighbor and her daughter over for a play date today.  I've been trying to be a little more intentional about reaching out to our community here and was excited to get to know her.

You know the date isn't going to go well when one of my adorable little children points straight to the girl and says: "I don't want him to come to MY house!" (note: they get their pronouns quite confused). Sigh. I knew we were in for it right from the beginning. The rest of the 2 hours didn't exactly get any better.  By the end, all 3 were crying and in time-out.

I almost put myself in timeout, too, I was just so frustrated and exhausted. But, it was good for me. Why? Because I realize how easy it is to succumb to the pressure to be the family that has it all together.  I wanted my kids to behave well, say thank you,  keep their hands from hitting people, etc.  I wanted to have a deep spiritual conversation with my neighbor--but it didn't happen. And that's ok. It's ok, because that's what we're here for. We are called to live in the world, but not of the world. To be citizens and strangers in this place that is not our eternal home.  Of course my kids will sin.  I have to train them to behave in godly ways. Of course they will disobey. I have to train them to listen & obey. Of course I will not have it together. I have to surrender control and learn that it's better to invest in training up my kids than to put on a nice show for my neighbor.

In living out a gospel-powered parenting, I hope and pray that my neighbor will see that life with Jesus looks different because of how I respond to things in the world...or my kids.  I pray that I will represent Him well---because I have a feeling there will be many more days like today.

Now I just hope that my neighbor isn't regretting her choice of neighborhoods :)

2 comments:

  1. I bet it's refreshing to see REAL Christian families. You're no Flanders-- you're REAL! Thanks for sharing these wonderful stories with us!!!

    But if it's any encouragement, your kids totally behaved, said thank you, and didn't hit during the 5 minutes we saw them in the van today! Seeing you and the trips was such a wonderful treat for us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Kyra! I am sure your neighbor understands.

    ReplyDelete