We had a great weekend with friends at our Regional Staff Conference. I love seeing the kids enjoy hanging out with their friends as much as we do. We even survived the potty training on the road. I won't tell you what we did to survive....but we did. :)
The last few days have been full of ups and downs for me. I've been excited to be home for awhile without packing any bags. I've enjoyed times with neighbors and friends here. I have also been pretty frustrated by my kids and their propensity toward sin. That sounds silly when I write it. I shouldn't be surprised at all that they would want to choose ungodly actions toward each other. It's the very essence of who they are as created beings. But, it saddens me. And, it makes me plead fervently before the Lord that He will reveal Himself to them soon so that they may enter into a relationship with Him.
I have noticed something else the past few days, too. They are little sponges. Even when I don't think they are listening...they are. This has been the hardest lesson of all for me. On a number of occasions this week, I have blurted out something that I shouldn't have only to be reminded of it about 2 minutes later when I hear one of my kids repeating it! Ouch. Did I really say that? That sounds so ridiculous or petty. What it normally points to is my own sin and my inability to discern a lie from the truth. A lie from a snake verses a truth from my Creator. And suddenly, I'm right back in the garden with Eve. Doing the very thing that caused humanity to fall.
Grace feels good when I apply it. I am deeply thankful that God is bigger than my weaknesses and that He loves me in spite of the many mistakes I make. I am hopeful and confident that He is faithful to raise my children in spite of my weak attempts. His mercy is new everyday. A friend recently shared this verse with me, I hope it encourages you as much as it does me:
You give me your shield of victory,
and your right hand sustains me;
you stoop down to make me great. --Psalm 18:35
I am so glad Jesus did that. He sustains me and stoops down to make me great in the eyes of the King by giving me His righteousness for my ugliness. It's time to start speaking the truth against those sneaky lies...and making wiser decisions than the garden.

No comments:
Post a Comment