Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mary, Garricyn and babies


The kids love, love, love the Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones. It's definitely a favorite around our house and they ask me to read from it during every meal (and sometimes snack times). To be honest, I love it too! In fact, there are many days when that's my quiet time material :)

Well, a few days ago we were reading about Mary and Joseph. I was showing them the illustrations and pointing things out....donkey, stars, inn, etc. I decided this would be a fun time to point out Mary's pregnant belly, too. Why not?! We have a good friend, Garricyn, who's expecting twins in October so I thought it'd be cute for the kids to try and understand. I pointed and said, "Mary has a baby in her belly...it's baby Jesus!" Ellie smiled and Paisley laughed and Coop looked concerned. I don't think he believed me. Then I said, "and Ms. Garricyn has TWO babies in her belly!" That statement got similar responses so I just moved on and finished the story.

I kind of forgot about it until Ellie woke up from her nap. She pointed at me and said, "Mama! baby!" Ha ha. Let's just say she wasn't pointing at my belly :)

Ever since then, she reaches up and points to her belly and says, "'dis is MY baby"....and it's all about baby dolls, baby bears, baby Pablo (backyardigans), etc. And yes, somewhere in there, we do mention baby Jesus...which was the way this whole thing started.




No comments:

Post a Comment