Thursday, October 18, 2012

It all starts with me.

One of the first recommendations I received when moving, was that I should really take the Mom's Class here.  Apparently, it's been around for 30 years and the woman who teaches it is a real gem. I checked it out the first week...and almost left since I felt like the new girl all over again. (yuck!) But I'm really glad I stuck it out. I am meeting some really sweet women and I just know that this is where I am supposed to be.

So much of my normal routine includes telling little people what to do and what not to do.  So much of my griping includes what they didn't do and how many times I have to repeat over and over...and over what I'm trying to teach them.  I can get pretty good at focusing on them and their weaknesses and inflating myself.  It's very easy for me to totally neglect my own growth because I'm so focused on them.

Anyone with me?

I loved hearing this week the simple reminder that my growth is a priority. I'm still in process. I have much to learn. And as I grow and change, my littles will get to see & experience that too.  As I model a good attitude in all circumstances (even when the grocery clerk looks annoyingly at me as I let my kids help unload my cart)...they will see that. As I ask forgiveness for my harsh tone of voice, they will experience that. And, prayerfully, they will begin to learn that we cannot change ourselves---that only God can change our ugly sinfulness. Over time. Lots of times. with lots of grace.

4 comments:

  1. Totally with you. This is something I ponder often and I'm in the process of changing. I want my responses to be Godly, even amidst my frustration with my kids after giving an instruction for the umpteenth time! I have a lot of growth ahead and just praying my way through it! Thanks for the post Kyra, always so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Over time. Lots of times. with lots of grace"

    I want to make that my tag line for life growth. i'm not a mom but this really encouraged me to be patient and carry on in the areas of my life i need to grow. Thanks Kyra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect you and Dave SO much as parents. I think a major part of the reason is because you guys ARE so public about needing to learn and follow in order to be better teachers and leaders.

    Sometimes I fear becoming a parent because my sins will be under a microscope with so many perceptive, curious little people seeing my life up close, all day. It seems, being in a position of authority, it'd be tempting to deny my need for growth or a savior, and focus on OTHERS' areas to grow... which can sound deceptively like the call of parenthood (to pay attention to kids). But I know it's not. Nor is it our call as Christians!

    Thanks for sharing your wise, vulnerable thoughts, Kyra!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be blessed and encouraged....we've all been there and ARE there. Each day by His grace, help and wisdom...parenting just does that to you, huh?
    Love and Blessings, Susan

    ReplyDelete