Monday, June 11, 2012

Setting the Tone.

"Mom! we have done SUCH a good job. We haven't had any consequences in so long!"
My sweet little girl joyfully shouted this at me last week.

It had been a rough week a couple of weeks ago. My sweet little miss in the picture above has really high highs...and really low lows.  We have been hammering in the truth of self-control and how God can help us not to over-react. But sometimes, she just gives in to the fits.  She can go from being the most joyful bubbly spirited girl to the 4-almost-5 year old lying completely face-down screaming her cute little head off.  Because someone barely. touched. her. barely. :) 

So when she told me this, I immediately rejoiced with her! She had done a good job. It was true. There were not many consequences being thrown out in our house.  But as I praised her effort, I couldn't help but notice this tiny, nagging feeling in my tummy.  What was it!?

I began to really think about the following week of improvement.  It hit me like a ton of bricks. That was the week when I started committing to wake up 1 hour early to spend time reading my Bible, journalling, praying, planning my meals, etc.  It was the week where I was diving into Scripture passages and really letting them sink in.  I had turned off tv shows at night and read more books.  Slept more. 

Hmmm...maybe she wasn't the only one having a problem with self-control. 

God gently showed me how my attitude had changed, too. My fuse was a lot longer that week.  I was able to engage in activities with my kids, rely on His strength more and enjoy them.  I wasn't easily angered, frustrated or bitter.  He had set a different tone. 

As a  mom, I have a great responsibility to teach and train my kids. But I can't do this by myself. I need to fully surrender to God and invite Him to give me the power & energy I need.  And when He shows up, everyone can tell!  I am so thankful that He is a God who is near and able to give us what we need.  We can set the tone in our homes, women. Let's encourage each other to do that all the more!


"..let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;  for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls." James 1:19-21



2 comments:

  1. So true. I just realized myself this week that the reason my 10 yo freaks out when his 8 yo brother is hovering over him at the computer is because I do something similar. Sure it's not quite as dramatic, but it's still a "reaction" instead of a "thoughtful discourse." Being a parent is certainly sanctifying, isn't it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great, meaningful "aha!" moment! Thank you for sharing that with us!

    And I love how Pais is such a sweet encourager. Even though the consequences are for HER misbehaving, she decided to encourage YOU when she noticed there had been fewer consequences! What a sweet girl!!

    ReplyDelete