Monday, February 20, 2012

Utterly absorbed

I got this new blanket for Christmas. Love the brown and pink polka dots. pretty adorable & super comfy. My kids try to hijack it from me...but I'm pretty resistant to share. Boundaries, people, boundaries.  Besides, they have cinderella, tinkerbell & spiderman: why do they need mine too?

One of my favorite things to do is curl up in my blanket and either watch a movie or read a book. Some of you prefer crafts (that's fine), sewing (I don't understand), or scrapbooking (I used to be you) but I choose books or movies.  I can relax, calm down and enter into worlds far away.

But I read something last week that has haunted me.  It was the challenge to be utterly absorbed in my love for Jesus. To be fully consumed by Him.  

Why is this so hard? 

My mind & heart are battlefields.  Precious spaces to invade.  There are a thousand things competing for my brain power and my thoughts often succumb to other things.  My heart, though so needing to hear truth about Forever Love, is often swayed by smaller loves, lovers less wild (as Derrek Webb put it once). 

But I must press on.  Take back my thoughts. Rest in His Love.  Focus on Him all day.  Be so utterly absorbed by His love that I can't give power to the lies of this world. I am protected by Him. He is my refuge, my shelter, my security.  

So I'll still pull out my new blanket. I'll still enjoy my down time with books & movies. But every time I do, I'll think first about how the One who made me is offering Himself as my comfy place. My place of comfort, rest, love & security.  

4 comments:

  1. And I love this! I have been thinking, praying through the same thing. Actually just emailed a prayer request to a friend using the words "being consumed by Him". It is hard. Let's keep fighting together. And you keep fighting for that blanket. It's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do this! I love how the Lord puts similar things in my friends lives...it helps me stay connected to Him and others! Fight on, sista!

      Delete
  2. Awesome. Such a CONSTANT struggle, isn't? How is it that we are so very evil and silly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! Constant struggle. I'd like to blame the world or our culture...but it's pretty much all because I am a sinner saved by grace :)

      Delete