Monday, January 23, 2012

Consider it...what?

Joy Division Intersection
flickr credit

I've started a new Bible study this quarter through the book of James.  To be honest, I re-joined the group because I knew I'd be going crazy having a hard time being 8 months pregnant during the rainy season with 3 four-year-olds running amuck at home.  A 2 hour time of GREAT childcare and FANTASTIC fellowship for me sounded nice (not to mention sitting in the chair the entire time).

So I really was not anticipating learning anything.  ha. ha. ha. As my joker-obsessed boy would tell me, "Fooled ya!"  I have been hit with so many things to think about it's a little overwhelming.

Right off the bat, James (half-brother of Jesus), tells us to consider it pure joy when going through various kinds of trials.  Pause.  Consider it, what? joy? this is one hard pill to swallow.  I mean, if I'm being totally real with you, those big, enormous trials are easier for me to let God handle.  I gladly acknowledge my lack of control over the health of our baby, the lives of our kids, if we have full paychecks or not, or the state of the economy.  But where I have the most difficult time are those more common trials of life.  Kid screaming for an hour because she can't have a lollipop? Canceled appointment after all 3 kids are clothed, fed & in car by 7:40am? Lost keys when I'm already 10 min. late? Dinner battles with picky eaters? NO!!! I am not entitled to this. I deserve better.  And with these thoughts, friends, I begin the downward spiral of grumbling and complaining that can last a long time.

But James offer advice. Count it joy.  Not the trials themselves, per se, but find joy IN the trials. Look for the blessings.  Look for ways to rely on the One who made me. Shift my perspective heavenward and things would be tolerable. Not easy. But maybe I wouldn't launch into my sob stories or my angry tirades.  (anyone with me?) Not only that, but there's reward.  We will grow more mature! More complete as we start to see God for who He is as we endure the yuckiness of this world.  That is one thing to get me motivated!!

Let's encourage one another. Look for His blessings.  And consider it, what? yes...JOY!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for continuing to reflect on this for me :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good Kyra. Thanks for the reflection, honesty and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete