Friday, December 16, 2011

The Woman with the Purple Coat.

We've all been there.  The land of awkwardness.  It can happen anytime, anywhere with anyone.  But it usually seems that there is some conscious decision to "go there" into the land of awkwardness....that last fleeting thought, "am I really going to do_____? say_____?"   

Enter Sunday evening for me. Let me set the stage for you...

We had the blessing of attending a big Sunday celebration at Mars Hill Church of Albuquerque.  They were kicking off a new building, installing their pastor AJ Hamilton, and inviting people to be baptized.  We had an amazing time as we really sensed that God is moving in huge ways through this church. It was fun to be a part of.

Mark Driscoll was preaching live about the Holy Spirit. If you're not familiar, the Holy Spirit is part of the Trinity (God, the Spirit). He plays a vital and active role in the lives of those who put their faith in Jesus as Lord: guiding, directing, prompting, etc.  We had already heard the sermon in the morning, but had decided to come back for the evening service.

That's when I saw her.  The woman with the purple coat.  

She came in late to the service and sat right in front of us.  Right away, I could tell she was uncomfortable.  She was fidgeting and glancing over her shoulder several times.  About halfway through the sermon, I just decided to pray for her.  I don't know why.  Just felt that I was supposed to.
The longer the service went, the stronger the burden for this woman I felt.  I truly believe it was the Holy Spirit prompting me to be the church for her...to reach out...to love her.

What? I battled.  Not me.  I'm not from here. I'm visiting too!  What if I'm totally wrong about these impressions? Not me, Lord, right?

When she grabbed her purse & coffee and left....I was deeply troubled. Did I miss my opportunity? Without telling Dave anything, I left and followed her.   I saw her in the lobby.  

Here I go....I'm actually going to do this.  

And with that...I entered the land of awkwardness.  I tapped her on the shoulder.  Asked if she was new.  Told her I was too.  Then, told her that although it may sound strange God wanted me to ask her if she was okay?  And, that He loves her and was happy that she was there.   Immediately, she burst into tears.  Do you do this often? she asked.  
Are you kidding?? NO.  I am SO nervous right now!! 

I asked if I could pray with her.  We walked over to a table where she shared the burdens of her life.  She is broken. Hurting. In need of the gospel of peace, reconciliation and freedom.  What I had felt was true---and even more so.  We talked and prayed for about an hour.  I introduced her to a family we had met and I am praying she gets help and a group of people who will shower her with truth & love. 
As we hugged and said goodbye, she told me that she was praying for a miracle and she feels like I brought one to her. That God is pursuing her and cares for her.  

I am so humbled and overwhelmed by the Lord. What started out as a simple prayer for a woman in a purple coat became an hour-long conversation of ministry and encouragement.  I am rejoicing that God chooses to work through us, sinful, faulty, awkward humans to reach out to others who are desperately longing to hear that they are deeply loved and are being pursued by Him.  I am encouraged to be sensitive to God's leading...and take those risks to be awkward in order to allow the miraculous to happen.  

The truth is that Jesus came to bring us God's message of love. He is our Rescuer: freeing us from slavery to addictions, burdens, sins, etc.  He is God's messenger telling the story of love, pursuit and unending care for His people.  
It is a blessing and joy to have shared this message with my new friend and I pray that you also will read and be encouraged by what Jesus offers us!  

6 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing that story. I love how God uses moments like that to reach out to others...but then they strengthen our faith at the same time. How awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is sooo faithful and good! What an awesome story of His grace and work in our lives. Loved reading this Kyra - thanks for sharing! It is such an encouraging story! :) -Brandee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising God for your faithfulness and obedience! :) What a mighty God we serve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! God is so good. Thanks for sharing this encouraging story Kyra!. Totally a reminder of God's love for us and his desire to pursue us. And sometime (read often) that pursuit leads us into the the land of awkward. Great reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is Good and promises Great things when we obey His prompts. You are a wonderful example.of that. I am praying for the woman in the purple coat and for all of the others out there seeking our God of miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kyra I love that story. Beauty amidst awkwardness (which I'm beginning to believe is when we radiate His life most...stepping into the frey)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete