| Photo credit |
What's their secret? Why are they happy?
The woman interviewed states this,“Dutch women do not aspire to top positions because they do not want to encourage the values of the business models of today’s world. It is a silent resistance movement,” she says. “Maybe this will turn out to be the fourth wave of feminism. Women protect the possibility that one day we’ll wake up to realize that life is not all about acquiring more material wealth, power, status. Many Dutch women that I know want to stay sane, happy, relaxed.”
This is a pretty loaded statement. I realize I could be opening a can of worms, here. But that's what the goal of these Wednesdays are, right?!
Is she right? Do you think these women are realizing that life is not all about climbing the business ladder? Or are they outdated philosophies that need to fall to the more modernized woman?
Obviously, this article doesn't include any mention of religion or spirituality. Interestingly, I think it's similar to what I'm reading about Biblical womanhood. God calls women to be nurturers, training younger women in loving their husbands and children (Titus 2). Could it be that women are, even unknowingly, realizing God's design is for our ultimate good?
What is your response to this? Do the Dutch have it right...or wrong?
I like it. It speaks to me. I personally see myself and a happy stay at home mom. But there are those days that I just want to get out of the house and do something that doesn't include my kids. That's just me. I could see me having a part time job, having a little bit of financial input to our family and doing something else that would make me crave and miss my home and babies. Therefore making me happier to do my daily mundane chores that I get annoyed with so fast b/c I do them non-stop. I think if I had a part time job somewhere, it'd make me a little more joyful at home. I am glad that I don't strive to "climb the ladder", that would take too much away from motherhood.
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, working part-time helped me to be a better mother. Returning to my baby after a challenging and rewarding work day, I would feel intellectually refreshed and happy to be home. We each have our own unique combination of strengths and passions to offer the world, whether through nurturance of our families (which may include financial support) or through meaningful work (full- or part-time) in itself. I think the important thing is not how much or how little women work outside the home, but how they feel about it. How free is the choice to work? In the Netherlands, social policies enable more women to work part time than in the U.S., so this option is more available to them. Dutch women enjoy social benefits including 100% paid maternity leave for 16 weeks and extended unpaid leave or part-time versions of their previous jobs. Health insurance is much less expensive (because everyone is required to have it) and part-time federally subsidized daycare is offered (though there is a waiting list). Women’s “choices” about work are shaped by personal ambition and religious beliefs, sure, but also by the financial realities created by social policies. What the Dutch “get right,” in my opinion, is their provision of social benefits that provide support for women and their families to create work/home solutions of their own (God’s?) design.
ReplyDeleteGreat point, Sarah. I totally agree that women need refreshment and intellectual stimulation with adults. I also agree that a lot of our social policies make it extremely difficult for women to limit their time at other jobs. Wouldn't it be great to have benefits like that?? Maybe we need to voice our opinions more and fight for more of these in our society so we can spend more time investing in our kids. Thanks for your wise insight, Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI'm a stay-at-home mom but, Personally, the statement doesn't do much for me. I know you mentioned something to this effect, Kyra...I think the definition of our "womanhood" or "motherhood" needs to come from a rock-solid foundation of truth. We need to find our identity in the one who NAMED our identity and said that "it is good." Now, of course, a child with a mother who does not know God may, of course, still benefit greatly from a mom who is at home with them...but, ultimately, a more well-rounded, happier woman (or child), when their lives are over, will have gained nothing, without a faith and hope in the God of the bible. So, after all that blabbering...although I certainly do believe society is going to work better following the individual roles that God has given us...ultimately, I just don't think it's worth much without God being the REASON.
ReplyDeleteInteresting article, Kyra!
ReplyDeleteI think that the Dutch MIGHT be experiencing a natural effect of going by God's design, but it has more to do with the part of His commandments about taking Sabbaths and not having idols (eg: work/career) than about women staying at home to care for the family, since the trend spans marrieds and singles, with and without children. Even the men are hopping on board.
But then again... just to look at the other side of the coin... I'm not a feminist, but I wonder: If you don't have a familial or religious reason for working part-time or staying at home... why NOT work more? I think God has gifted people with skills and passions, and using them can be life-giving and even an act of worship (for Christians). Work should never be an idol, but if there's a huge movement of single people across a country who are choosing NOT to work full-time... could it be laziness in disguise?
I think there are many Christians who work part-time, and work/money can be an idol for them. And there are also people who work 50+ hours per week, but because they enjoy it and worship God in it, they are experiencing the freedoms and joys the Dutch women have. Ironic... but I wonder if the Dutch women's contentment with the status quo is keeping them from expanding their knowledge and skill sets, being challenged, and finding the strengths they can contribute.
It's like, I know that Mormon women traditionally stay at home to raise their kids. That's a healthy value. But I had a Mormon friend who didn't apply herself in high school and got bad grades and didn't care because she didn't want to apply to colleges because she didn't want a job... she figured she'd be a stay-at-home-mom someday anyway. THAT is a good thing broken.
I wonder if the Dutch trend of working part-time started as something centered around family values and maybe even a desire to honor God... but has been broken (evidenced by single people, childless people, and men working part-time).
Or maybe people just value life, friends, and leisure more.
I dunno. Just posing different sides :)