Monday, June 13, 2011

Proud Wife.


Almost daily I could probably list the things on here that make me so proud of my husband.  He is a wonderful man who I am blessed to share every day with!! Last weekend, he accomplished a huge feat. He entered his 1st marathon.  I know lots of people who have run marathons (even myself) and it is always such a great accomplishment.  But this one outshines them all to me.  Let me paint the picture why:
Imagine you train your body to run 26 miles during the first week of June.  Warm, but not hot yet.  On the day of the race, you wake up to a black sky, torrential downpour, windy conditions and what ends up being the most rainfall Oakland has seen in 15+ years.  You know you signed up for a trail run, but in your head it's like running through soft dirt and forested landscape.  You instead meet a gigantic, muddy hill for your first 3 miles of running: instead of jogging, you take 1 step up and slide 3 back down.  The trails have root branches, poison oak, mud pits, mud hills...and it's raining SO hard you are soaked from head to toe.  Now continue for 26.2 miles.  
When the kids and I got to the race site, the half marathoners were finishing.  I saw mud caked up their legs and it was so rainy we didn't get out of the car.  I prayed and prayed that Dave was okay and persevering!

He completed probably one of the hardest courses in awful conditions. And he finished 2nd in his age group!  Now, that's a stud.  And I am so proud of him. So were the trips---donned in their rain boots & rain coats to give Daddy a hug at the finish line!  He ran in memory of my Grandpap who was the picture of determination and perseverance.  I know he would've been so proud.  Just like us!
Waiting.

Awarding Daddy his medal! 
26.2 done. 

We had to make medals when we got home so all 3 kids had one just like daddy!



2 comments: