Sunday, April 3, 2011

Memories.

Cousins.  We had a mixture of emotions last week as we decided last minute to drive to Phoenix and see my ill grandmother for the last time. Her health took a turn for the worse and we felt compelled to go. So we did. 

Memories were created. All 6 cousins on my side of the family loved hanging out together.  Playing basketball, candyland, trains, and hide & seek.  We even had the triplets first sleepover with their 3 year old cousin, Avrie. It was SO fun. Full of sugar, late night bedtimes and giggling. 

Memories were created. Visiting my grandma in hospice care.  Seeing her laugh at Ellie's ballerina moves.  Laugh at Paisley's goofiness. Laugh when Cooper used his binoculars to get a better look at her in the hospital bed.  Laugh at my hair turning brown because I no longer live in the blazing Az sun. We spent quality time with her, hearing about her life and re-living fun stories about my Dad and his brother. 

We left on her last best day.  I'm writing in the airport waiting to go back for her memorial service.  God is good. He gave us such great memories to cherish forever.  I am so blessed to know that this world is not the end. I will see her again in Heaven. We will worship together.  We will smile and celebrate the love He has given to us.  

Memories were created.  Hope. Joy. Security. Love.
Thank you, Grandma, for the way you loved Jesus, the way you modeled silliness and joy, your heart to nurture and nurse others back to health.  We definitely will see you soon!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kyra, this was beautiful. I have very, very fond memories of your grandmother. I remember particularly one time when she sat with Dave and I while Nana had surgery. She was very, very comforting that day.
    My love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyra, what a beautiful post. You said it so perfectly. I can picture your thoughtful, smiling face as you write this, thinking about the memories created. I'm thankful for the time you had with your grandma. Praying for your trip now to the service. Love you sweet friend and miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you guys got to see her on "her last best day" before she passed away. She's having beyond-best days now! Your family sounds really really sweet.

    ReplyDelete