Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I didn't sign up for this!

You ever catch yourself in moments where you think, "what in the world is going on?" There are times of my early mothering that make me scratch my head and wonder where I was when someone told me about this. Oh, wait. That never happened. There are just some things that no amount of reading, blogging or researching can prepare you to face.

Since I last blogged about what the kids have been saying, may I share with you some moments when I have found myself thinking "I didn't sign up for this!":

  • Fishing a tiny heart-shaped Ariel ring out of a toilet that was just pooped in. 
  • Telling my kids, "You have to finish your cookie before you have more apple slices!"(nutritionists...I'm sorry. I don't know what got in to me)
  • Reading the same kids book 30 times a day.  Then wake up...and read it 35 times the next day.
  • Removing all articles of clothing in public restrooms because your 3 year old insists on being completely naked while doing their thing. 
  • Explaining that triplets are not very common and not all your friends are triplets.
  • Having to justify the reality that the words "but" and "butt" are not the same. To kids who can't spell.
  • Removing veggie straws from real straws (think of slimy, soggy sticks)
  • Saying the words, "Please use your spoon to eat your cottage cheese....not your toes"
  • Having to remember stories I've made up at bedtime so I don't repeat any :) 
  • Cutting shapes out of paper.  Drawing shapes on paper.  Coloring paper. Using SO MUCH paper. 
It's funny...even though I have many of these thoughts throughout the days, none deters me from knowing that I am called to be the Mom to these kids.  None of them make me angry.  I am simply surprised by my role and duties of motherhood.  I fully embrace and love to raise these little people...even when that means cleaning things I don't like to or disciplining consistently when all I want to do is ignore the problem.  God has blessed me with these children and given them to me as a gift.  So, I cherish it and find joy---even if I didn't initially sign up for it. 

3 comments:

  1. So funny! Sounds like QUITE the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so comforting to know someone else out there is living a very similar life as me. thanks for your encouraging perspective and making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And, I love YOU! I want to be just like you when I grow up and become a mom.

    ReplyDelete