My kids aren't quite old enough for VBS (vacation bible school) yet. Lame! just kidding. But, I can't wait for them to go and learn about God and make new friends. Our 6 year old neighbor just finished VBS week and keeps singing all the songs they learned---with hand motions, of course. So, I thought: why not do that with my kids now? Don't worry---I didn't have the energy, creativity or money to set up an entire week of activities and dance routines. Instead, a friend and I decided to have a Scripture verse memory week. Each week, we are picking out a verse (she printed them out on cards for me) and trying to have the kids learn it. And by learn, I hope they understand it. Last week's verse was John 8:32 "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free."
This week it is Luke 19:10:
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.
I'm surprised how much we've been getting into it. They ask some good questions. And...bonus!...I'm memorizing Scripture, too :) which is great, because I've had a real problem cracking open my Bible this summer.
I hope this encourages you that it's never too early to start pouring God's Word into your child's heart & mind...And, it's never too late for us to start either.
this is a great idea! what do you do to memorize it during the week?
ReplyDeleteGood question! I wrote out the verse on construction paper and hung it over their little craft table so they can see it at all times. Then, we say it a lot during every meal time at the table. Another thing I've wanted to do is to bounce a ball back & forth for each word. I sometimes leave out the last word and let them finish it.
ReplyDeleteWe then talk about who the "son of man" is. Why we're lost, and what He came to find :) It's been so much fun!