Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life-Giver, Pillar, Teacher.

We were created. Divinely created for a purpose. For His glory. "..male and female He created them" (Gen 1:27)  


Do I believe God or my culture?

As my previous post mentioned, I was given the wonderful treat of spending my Saturday with 400 women from 33 churches to hear about what it means to be a true woman.  Before I go any further, this content could be considered uncomfortable or taboo in our culture. I'm fully aware of that.  And, I'm fully aware that we need to be pushed a little to challenge our views and make sure they are grounded in the Word and not our culture.

So, in light of all of those things, I'd like to share the main things I learned from this weekend.

  • I want to be a Life-Giver to the men around me. I want to be their helper: defender, shield, protector, supporter. I don't want to be a Life-Taker: attackercontroller, independent, manipulative. 
  • I want to be a pillar of grace. I want my daughters to be pillars of grace that beautifully adorn the palace (our homes and places of worship) by their supportive and strong, compelementary role (see Psalm 144:12)
  • I want to be involved in discipleship for the rest of my life: on both sides of the table! Teaching truth to the next generation is part of our calling (Psalm 78:4-7) (Titus 2)
The truth is, we live in a world that is telling us certain things about womanhood that are directly opposed to God's Word.  Consider and respond to these questions:

  1. What are some ways your womanhood has been affected by our society? by Scripture? 
  2. What do you do to stay grounded in God's view of who we are as women? 


2 comments:

  1. SO AWESOME! I went to a leadership conference in February that was about Gospel-driven discipleship and heard the exact same stuff...lots of references to Susan Hunt's writing on Women in the Church...LOVE the life-giver thing...really is convicting...in my home and in my church!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyra,

    Thank you for sharing what you've learned. I will definitely be coming back to this blog posting often in my quiet times!

    ReplyDelete