Many of you may or may not be aware that my Nana passed away earlier this week. Dave summed up my grandparents beautifully here.
After 3 weeks of on/off sickness with the kids, I was finally able to go to my women's Bible study the day after I heard the news. It was there, in my small group of 8 or so, that I learned that another dear woman and friend had died also...of the same type of cancer. My heart was filled with shock, grief and joy; a jumbled mix of emotions that I didn't know how to handle. I immediately burst into tears. The kids and I had just made a card for her yesterday...and it was in my Bible.
Both of these women meant a lot to me in such extremely different ways. One I've known my entire life; the other I've known 6 months. Yet, each had such a contagious personality that drew others to her.
My heart is still filled with grief and joy. Strange that these two can go hand-in-hand. But, as I miss those who aren't here...I can't help but think of the Heaven and Jesus they are beholding. They are gaining! I've been contemplating and praying that Paul's perspective would truly be my own: "For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."
I found this verse of an old hymm called "on our way to rejoicing":
On our way rejoicing, as we homeward move,
Hearken to our praises, O Thou God of love!
Is there grief or sadness? Thou our joy shalt be;
Is our sky beclouded? There is light with Thee.
I love how you get so close to women from all ages. It was pretty sad to hear about your friend, but it says so much about how you invest in people, and allow them to invest in you. I love you and am so glad our kids get you as their model of a godly woman every day!
ReplyDelete