
This has become a little buzzword lately that I'm reading and hearing everywhere (via Facebook, Twitter, college campuses, church, etc.). It definitely punctuates a statement when you add, in caps, the word FAIL. I've even caught myself saying this type of things to my friends, "I had a major fail today when the special balloons I bought just kept popping."
Not to get too philosophic (dave's the expert in this category), but it seems as if our society is calling failure out a little more candidly than I've remembered. You see, failure has always been really hard for me. I'm not good at it. I mean, I'm actually great at failing...just terrible in responding to it. I've struggled for as long as I can remember with perfectionism, placing too much pressure on myself. This became more and more apparent throughout my later high school years and my college days. But nothing could've prepared me for parenting. I fail daily. I fail hourly. I fail.
Great news, eh? :) Actually, it is because I'm finally beginning to realize what being grace-centered and gospel-centered looks like in my life. I'm reading a book called Gospel-Powered Parenting (oh yes, a book review will be coming!) about how the gospel shapes and transforms our parenting. It's teaching me to run to the cross for motivation, strength and forgiveness as I parent. Check out this quote:
"The cross is our salvation from the condemnation of sin. The cross motivates us to be the parents that God wants us to be...The cross exposes our pride. It humbles us. It shows us who we really are--sinners saved by grace.
Cross-centered parents are imperfect, but they attract their children. And what they attract them to is the Gospel."
I am given grace. I am free to fail. Because when I do..and respond correctly..I am painting a beautiful picture of the Gospel for my kids. I am displaying the ultimate need for a Savior and our redemption. I am showing my weakness and God's power made perfect in it. So..thank you fellow social media fans...for calling out failures and helping me realize the true joy in admitting it!
Amen sister!
ReplyDelete