Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Run Like a Girl!



That was the motto for the marathon this weekend: run like a girl. And I did. It was one of the most amazing weekends to remember. We left Friday night for the city and found a great little bistro on the water outside the ferry building (thanks, yelp!). On Saturday, we woke up and went straight to the Expo where the full impact of what I was going to do set in. There were so many women. So many vendors. It was overwhelming and exciting all at the same time. Aubrey, Jen and I had a blast going around Union Square and taking it all in. We lunched at an awesome burger place which apparently was only the 2nd day it was open...and met the chef (who almost won Top Chef Masters)!

But nothing could prepare me for the race day. After waking up early and trying to stick to my normal routine before long runs, we made our way to the start line. There, in the darkness and cool of morning were the 20,000 fellow half and full marathoners. What an incredible sight!

We started at 7am and I was doing good until miles 6-8. There I encountered the biggest hill ever. and I live in a flat place, so it was tough. My hamstring was strained and started bugging me around mile 10. I got super sick miles 12-16 but stuck it out thanks to my amazing husband.

I married a superhero. Let me tell you what he did. We had planned that he would hop in the race and run beside me for 5 miles or so. But when I got sick, he kept going with me and ran miles 11-23 with me...then sprinted up to the finish line so he could be there when I crossed the line. Seriously, who does that?!? I was so touched and encouraged by him. Thanks, honey!

As soon as I crossed the line, I was handed a beautiful Tiffany necklace (of course, I'm wearing it now). I ran over to Dave and just started crying. Both of us did.

That was Sunday. It's Tuesday night...and it feels like a dream. But my body is so sore that I know it was for real. Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement. I ran like a girl and it felt good.

4 comments:

  1. YAY KYRA!!! WOO HOO !!!! Seriously, and you got a necklace too. That's awesome! You did great. Way to push through all the obstacles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Kyra, you rock! And what an amazing example for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even begin to imagine doing that, Kyra. You are too awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyra, loved reliving the amazing experience through your eyes. This will go down in the books as one of the best weekends. Loved that we could share it together. We rock.

    ReplyDelete