Thursday, October 14, 2010

Clean Freak.

I am not one of these people. I was that kid in high school who had different piles in her room...depending on the state of cleanliness. Once a month, I would do a massive cleaning and then let it slowly slip back into a terrible state of chaos.

Now, I get to blame messiness on my children. Oh, the joys of parenthood!  While I've matured slightly in my cleanliness I still have found no time to clean my house.  I know that raising my kids is important. I know that when I choose to play pirates or princess or  London Bridge for the 100th time, I am making a choice to invest in their lives over my household.

Enter the sneezing from all the dust bunnies! And the crunchy food in the corners of my floor.

So, on Wednesday when my husband and others were fasting to pray for our CRU movement...I fasted too. I fasted from social media and all computer/iphone time.  Okay, this may sound slightly lame but I told myself that my PHONE was for calls and texts only. No Facebook. No Twitter. No news. No games. No books (I love reading...). Just me and my house and prayer.

The result?

  1. Clean, organized bookcase. Dusted from top to bottom--literally. I got out the ladder.
  2. Cleaned the entire kitchen counter.  Removed all papers and stuff. 
  3. Swept & mopped all floors in the house. 
  4. Rearranged our kitchen table and chairs.
  5. Listened to 2 podcasts about Christ's authority.
  6. Prayed for my man, our ministry and our children.
  7. Dave's face was beaming when he walked in to a clean house. Priceless
Have you ever done anything like this?? How did it make you feel?

4 comments:

  1. That must have been such a fun feeling to see Dave's face when he came in! That's a TON of work, Kyra... especially for a self-professed non-cleaner! Wow, good job!

    Are the kids at an age yet when they can help in cleaning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! way to go kyra...that is awesome! very encouraging. i like the idea of a media fast....hmmmm. you've got me thinking:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were channeling Nana! =)

    A few years ago, I decided that for Lent I would totally keep the Sabbath. That meant a fast from technology, tv, etc. and that I would spent Sundays reading/reflecting and with my family.
    That meant that I did heavy cleaning on Saturdays so that I would be ready for the Sabbath. And I actually DID that on Saturday. I loved it. I'm not sure why I ever stopped.
    Monday mornings were so much better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Aubrey--try it! It's convicting how much time is consumed :)
    @Kether--That's awesome about your sabbath. I agree...when Sundays are restful, Mondays aren't as awful.

    ReplyDelete